Propane Tank Installation Code Requirements
120 (100 gallon) Above Ground Propane Tank
- Five (5) feet from any opening of a house (doors and windows)
- If the bottom of a window is higher than 32 inches, the tank can go directly under the window.
- If the window is a permanently shut window that can not be opened, there are no distance requirements.
All other propane tanks
- Same as all the above
- Ten (10) feet from a building
- Ten (10) feet from property line that can be built upon
- **Some municipalities require ten (10) feet from property line**
Underground Hole Sizes
120 Gallon Underground Propane Tank
- 30” Deep 30” Wide 6’ Long
250 Gallon Underground Propane Tank
- 4’ Deep 4’ Wide 8’ Long
Standard ASME Propane Tank Specifications